Not only did Palm announce a new device but the device has a completely new OS called Palm WebOS. The new OS has some amazing new UI concepts including a gesture area and a new way to think about switching between apps on a mobile phone.
I have the specs listed below but remember that it is difficult to talk about this device with just a spec sheet, it really is something you have to look at to understand.
- High-speed wireless (EV-DO Rev. A or HSDPA, depending on version)
- 802.11b / g WiFi
- Integrated GPS
- 3.1-inch 24-bit color 480 x 320 display
- Dedicated gesture area below display
- Slide-out portrait QWERTY keyboard
- Exchange email support in addition to POP and IMAP
- IM, MMS, and SMS messaging
- High-performance browser
- 3-megapixel camera with LED flash and “extended depth of field”
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR with A2DP
- 8GB of internal storage
- USB mass storage mode
- MicroUSB connectivity with USB 2.0
- Proximity sensor for detecting when phone is near face
- Light sensor to automatically dim display
- Ringer mute switch
- Removable rechargeable battery
- 59.57 x 100.53 x 16.95mm closed
- 4.76 ounces
The link below has a whole bunch of images of the device along with a couple of first impression videos.
One last thing to think about is that each of the 4 major carriers in the US will now have exclusives with brand new incredibly innovative phones, AT&T has the iPhone 3G, T-Mobile has the G1, Verizon has the Blackberry Storm, and now Sprint will have the Palm Pre.