Apple finally released iPhone firmware 1.1.1 and it is great! That is unless you hacked your iPhone in which case you no longer have any 3rd party apps installed. If you unlocked your iPhone then I suggest you wait until the re-locking app is released.
The update is pretty awesome, all of the features are surely welcomed by me and others.
Here is a quick list of the features and my take on each one:
- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store – I’m probably not going to use it except for the free single of the week (because it is free). It does not work over EDGE at all, I know most of you are saying “that is why it is called the Wifi Music Store” but I wasn’t exactly sure, and I think that that stinks, I would love to be able to drive down the road downloading songs to listen to in the car.
- Louder speakerphone and receiver volume – Not that big of a deal to me, both seemed fine beforehand.
- Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls – Absolutely great, I love it, now it is easy to get to music controls if you aren’t using the iPhone’s headphones.
- Space bar double-tap shortcut to insert period and space – Very welcomed and I’m sure it will make my typing on the iPhone quite a bit faster then it already was.
- Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape – I personally don’t really care because I don’t get a whole lot of email attachments.
- Stocks and cities can be re-ordered in Stocks and Weather – I don’t use the stocks app and I only have one city listed in the weather app so this means nothing to me.
- Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar – I don’t own the bluetooth headset and I don’t plan to so this also means nothing to me.
- Support for TV Out – Awesome, now maybe I can completely get rid of my old iPod and use my iPhone exclusively. (I’m going to buy the component cable for 576i output).
- Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally – Doesn’t mean anything to me, but maybe it will put a stop to all of those idiots who don’t realize that roaming charges are extremely expensive.
- New Passcode lock time intervals – Who cares.
- Adjustable alert volume – Who really cares.
So that is that, if you haven’t done anything to your iPhone, such as hacking or unlocking it, then I suggest you go download the update, it is well worth it.
Apple has released a video showing off all of the features in the latest update. I guess they decided to make a video about everything now.
Watch Video Here